.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>
One New Thing
Monday, August 23, 2004
 
One New Thing: How to search a subdirectory with Google.

I wish I’d looked further into this in the past, so I could have put one of these search boxes on the NLRP site! You can search with Google using the syntax “inurl” to limit your search to a particular word in the URL. e.g. the phrase site:www.google.com “search box” inurl:help gets you all hits on the term “search box” on the domain google.com that have the word “help” in the URL. This will work brilliantly for all the purposes I would like a search box for, because I’m using pretty distinctive terms. There’s an example of how to use the inurl syntax in a search box on this Yale University site, Using Google to Search a Subdirectory.

Comments: Post a Comment


Links to this post:

Create a Link