.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>
One New Thing
Saturday, July 10, 2004
 
One New Thing: Refresher on Cutter numbers.

Having had this mentioned to me today and realising that although I could definitely point to a Cutter number and tell you what it was for, I wasn’t entirely sure how they were created. Thanks to this link from the ODLIS entry on Cutter tables, which was an example of a Library of Congress Cutter Table. I’ve established that you take the author’s surname and encode the letters of it using the rules outlined in the Cutter tables, so you end up with an alphanumeric call number. The Cutter-Sanborn version is an updated version of Cutter tables: updated, not surprisingly, by Sanborn. :)

A Friday link now – although I think it will be Saturday by the time I publish this! The Curmudgeony Librarian has this fantastic list of responses you can give to those who say You're a librarian?! Since I’ll be away from the ref desk for the next few months now might be a pertinent time for me to print this off and stick it at my new desk. ;)

Comments: Post a Comment


Links to this post:

Create a Link