.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>
One New Thing
Wednesday, May 05, 2004
 
One New Thing: USB sticks are hard to recover data from

I notice I don’t work in the only university that’s plugging USB memory sticks to customers to replace unreliable floppies. But at least I have many tools available to scan over floppy disks that are acting weird – I’ve discovered today that there aren’t many programs out there yet that are good to use on a weird USB. You can pay someone to do it for you of course, but the programs I already use (Norton’s Disk Doctor, Spinrite) and others I found and tested today don’t recognise a USB drive, just your hard drives and floppy drive.

The only one which actually recognised and was able to scan a USB was linked to on this Computing.Net forum question on USB data recovery, which is the GetDataBack software. Unfortunately I didn’t get to test it on the damaged USB so I can’t vouch for its effectiveness. But as always, when you have nothing to lose…

Comments: Post a Comment


Links to this post:

Create a Link